The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-Kisan Yojana) is a program launched by the Indian government which aims to provide minimum income support of up to Rs. 6000 to all marginal small farmers per year. The PM-KISAN Yojana program offers a financial benefit of Rs. 6000 per year to all farming families. Therefore, this sum is payable in three equal installments of Rs. 2000 each every four months. PM-KISAN yojana is an initiative taken to help the farmers and their families in a financial crisis.
The program was first designed and implemented by the Telangana government as the Rythu Bandhu program, where a certain amount is given directly to eligible farmers. The program has received praise from various organizations for its successful implementation, including the World Bank. Many economists suggest that this type of investment support is better than farm loan waivers. With the positive result of this program, the Indian government wanted to implement it as a national project and it was announced by Piyush Goyal during the 2019 Indian Union interim budget as of February 1, 2019.
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
- Agriculture is a crucial part of the Indian economy and farmers are a key component of society. However, due to the socio-economic disparities that prevail between the country’s urban and rural regions, farming communities have often struggled with financial prosperity.
- This issue has plagued the largest part of the Indian population since independence.
- Central and state governments have worked tirelessly to address this social and economic concern through several initiatives aimed at uplifting these communities. The government tries to help all the farmers and provide financial benefits so that they can’t face any problems in the future.
- Prime Minister Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana was launched by the Indian government in 2018 to help these communities.
- The Indian government released the sixth installment under this program on August 9, 2020, reaching nearly 8.5 crore farmers.
- In line with its objectives, this initiative aims to benefit approximately 125 million farmers in India, especially small and small-scale ones.
Features of PM-KISAN yojana
There are some key features of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana that have been discussed below:
The main feature of this Yojana is the minimum income support that provides to farmers. Each eligible farming family is entitled to receive Rs 6,000 per year throughout India. However, the amount is not disbursed all at once. PM-KISAN yojana delivers the need of the farmers and the amount that help them in their crisis.
Instead, it’s split into three equal installments and split four months apart. Each farmer thus receives Rs. 2000 every 4 months. Recipients can use this amount for many purposes. Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana’s guidelines do not categorically set out any restrictions on use. Farmer can use this amount anytime anywhere at any place according to their need and wants.
While the responsibility for funding lies with the Government of India, the identification of beneficiaries is beyond its remit. Rather, it is the responsibility of the governments of the states and territories of the Union. Government should check the identification process of the farmers and then provide the amount to all the families of the farmers.
These governments will identify the farming families who will benefit from the program. Here, it is essential to note that according to Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana’s definition, a farming family should include a husband, wife, and child or minor children.
PMKSNY is a farmer support program funded by the Indian government. Therefore, all of its funding comes from the Indian government. As a first step, the government announced a reserve of Rs.75000 crore per year to be devoted to this initiative.
He disbursed Rs 17,000 crore in the last installment on August 9, 2020, into the bank accounts of program beneficiaries via direct benefit transfer or DBT.
Eligibility for PM- Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
One of the most crucial features of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana scheme is its eligibility criteria. However, farm families who meet these criteria can benefit from this Yojana:
- Small and marginal farmers are eligible for PMKSNY.
- Farm families who own cultivable land can apply for the benefits of this plan.
- A beneficiary must be an Indian citizen.
At the same time, farmers in rural and urban areas can be enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana. However, this scheme guidelines also exclude certain categories of people from its list of beneficiaries.
Registration for PM- Kisan Samman Yojana
Persons who meet the conditions required to benefit from this program in accordance with the criteria mentioned above can register as beneficiaries as follows:
- Each state government is supposed to appoint PMKSNY nodal officers.
- Individuals can approach them to register for this program.
- Eligible farmers can also approach local patwaris or revenue officers to register.
- It is also possible to register for this program through the Common Service Centers (CSC) by paying a fee.
Apart from these, individuals can also register online for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana online through its dedicated portal. You should first visit the official PMKSNY website and click on “New Farmer Registration” in the Farmers Corner section.
Farmers who self-register and register through a CSC can check their PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana status by clicking on the “Self-registered / CSC Farmer Status” option under Farmers Corner.
Documents required for registration
When applying as a beneficiary of this program, individuals will need to submit the following documents:
- Proof of citizenship
- Documents justifying the ownership of the land
- Bank Account Details
Individuals will be required to provide scanned copies of these documents if they register online.
Who all are excluded from PMKSNY?
Not all farmers can benefit from cash assistance under the PM Kisan program. Below are the list:
- Any institutional land owner is not eligible for this initiative.
- Farm families with one or more members meeting the following criteria are also not eligible:
- People who hold or have held a constitutional office.
- Individuals who continue to serve or who have served as employees and / or agents in any government ministry, department or office and its field unit.
- People who have served as a manager or employee in a central or state public sector enterprise (PSU) and autonomous government bodies.
- Regular employees of local government agencies.
- Current and former ministers of central and state governments.
- Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha current and former ministers.
- Current and former members of the State Legislative Assembly and State Legislative Councils.
- Any current or former president of District Panchayat.
- Current and former mayor of any municipal company.
- Anyone who declared income tax in the previous valuation year (YY) or their family is not eligible to receive Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana.
- A person and his or her retired or retired family who receive a pension of Rs 10,000 or more each month are excluded from this scheme. However, it does not apply if such a pensioner belongs to multitasking staff, Class IV or Group D employees.
- Families with professionals like a doctor, engineer, chartered accountant, lawyer, and architect who are professionally involved in respective fields are also not eligible for this program.